Monday, February 6, 2012

Returning to an old WIP

I've got this craziness (I know, ANOTHER one!) where I work best in spurts.

For instance, a few years back I became interested in genealogy. And when I say interested, I mean obsessed. I spent every free moment on this endeavor. I immersed myself for a couple of months and then quit completely. I've never touched it since.

And that's how most of my endeavors end up. So if I want to finish a book, I do best to get it all out on paper while the coals are hot. Returning to something once my passion is gone is super difficult. That being said, sometimes I DO put a work in progress aside and have to return to it later.

Have you ever returned to a half-written book?

How did you get the creative juices flowing again. Did you re-read and then re-outline the second half? Did you just dive right in?

9 comments:

Jolene Perry said...

I'm doing this right now :D

I went back and looked over my idea, and thought about all my favorite parts.

I'm going to start the re-writing with those.

Good luck :D

Emily R. King said...

I agree with Jolene. Thinking about all the best parts helps a ton!

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

Good for you! I love going back to them! Hugs. I love reading it over.

Chantele Sedgwick said...

I agree with Jolene as well! I love diving back into a project that I loved. It's hard sometimes, but I find the more time I spend away from it, the more I want to work on it. :)

Leigh Covington said...

I totally feel ya. I do that a lot, though I have YET to return to one of my half written books, although I do hope to one day.

Jessie Humphries said...

No, I've never returned. I am fickle like that! Yah, the book club was way fun. THe publisher of DIvergent had a bunch of book club questions and tests and cool stuff that was fun. I totally enjoyed the read and the discussion.

Angela Cothran said...

I usually don't put something down until I've finished it. I'm weird like that :)

Jessica R. Patch said...

I've never left a book half finished, but I've had to return to completed rough drafts after 2-3 years and that's hard too. I remember my characters and plot, but it's tough getting into their skin again.

What works for me, is music. I always keep the playlists (same title as my ms, or pandora station) and listen to that a few days. It sparks the creative juices.

Glad you're jumping back in! :)

Rebecca H. Jamison said...

I usually have to force myself to do that. Probably I'd read it through again and edit as I read. That always helps me think of new ideas. Good luck.