Thursday, January 5, 2012

What's that book you're hiding under?

Photo from Seattle Library site


I've said it before and I'll say it again, if you're going to write, you better read.

****In fact, my best writing procrastination tool is reading****

But anywho...

My favorite read of 2011 was the massive; the enormous; the 1000-paged:
The Pillars of the Earth
(Although the further I got into this book, the more rated R it seemed. Just warning ya... As much as I wanted to, I WILL NOT be watching the movie.)

Followed closely by:
The Help
Variant
The Guernsey Literary and Sweet Potato Peel Pie Society

Oh yeah, and
The End of Normal (it had the train wreck thing going on where I just couldn't look away).

The writing book I liked best was:
Writing the Breakout Novel

The two books EVERYONE else loved that just didn't do it for me:
Cutting For Stone (seriously, if I still hate it after I'm 300 pages in, I just can't go on)
AND
Matched
******sorry, I really wanted to love it, and I am uber jealous and impressed with Ally Condie and her amazing success, but I just felt like everything was just a little too DESCRIBED. Does that make sense? Like, the main character might just describe the smell, sight and feel of the toilet paper because she was so in tune with every tiny detail*******

A few of the books I was bummed I had to put aside for naughtiness factor:
A Reliable Wife
Water for Elephants

And the book I still haven't gotten my hands on that I really want to read?
Divergent

So, there you have it.

What did you love in 2011? What did you hate? What did EVERYONE else love that you just didn't get that into?

11 comments:

Jessica R. Patch said...

I haven't read Water for Elephants...it's dirty? Dang!

I loved the Colonel's Lady by Laura Frantz. I thought about that book days after I read it.

I don't know if I read anything I hated but I read several books that weren't what I'd call fantastic. I finished all of them.

I can't get into the Dragon with Tattoo, the Girl that Kicked the Hornet's Nest. Nope. Just can't.

Angela Cothran said...

I'd heard that Water for Elephants and Pillars of the Earth were both pretty graphic. I don't go for books like that, no matter how awesome the writing is.

I could not get into Name of the Wind. It was so BORING!

Emily R. King said...

I refused to read The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series because of the graphic rape scene I heard about in the first book. Not my thing.

Leigh Covington said...

Yes, DIVERGENT is worth reading. I have heard awesome stuff about Pillars of the Earth! Why do I keep forgetting about it? I NEED to read it! Many of your favorites are on my list of faves too. I also enjoyed THE BEYONDERS by Brandon Mull and City of Bones (just starting this series.) :)

Brittany said...

I highly recommend Peace Like a River and Caleb's Crossing. Also The Ladies Auxillary was pretty good.

Lots of people liked Girl With the Dragon Tattoo & I would not recommend it. Not just because of the graphic rape scene (which I didn't know about beforehand), but also because it's just not that great.

I read Water for Elephants a while ago and liked it, but don't remember it being really naughty.

The writing book I'm enjoying is Hooked, but I keep forgetting to finish it. Did finish Write Away and thought it was really good

We Are A Happy Family said...

My favorite section of the library is the children's section. I have reading the newberry medal winners and honors.
One of my favorite books was Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick (not on the Newberry medal list.)He also wrote, The Invention of Hugo Cabret.

Jolene Perry said...

The Help totally deserved the praise.

Love your new background.

I was lukewarm on Matched, Crossed was better.

I've just started Juliet Immortal and it's blowing me away.

The movie Water for Elephants was incredible. IMO

300 pages IS a novel. I give a book 50 pages, sometimes a little more depending on who recommended it to me.

I just finished Lola and the Boy Next Door and it was SO much more than a fluffy teen romance. I LOVED it.

And now I've officially written something as long as a blog post.

Melanie Jacobson said...

Yeah, Pillars of the Earth had some ROUGH stuff. Loved Guernsey. Enjoyed Matched. Thought Variant was cool. Really liked The Help. Hated Cutting for Stone. Liked Water for Elephants. The bad parts were so random and unnecessary to the story. Weird.

Chantele Sedgwick said...

I haven't read any of these besides Matched. I know. I'm a loser. ;) I LOVED Divergent. Probably my favorite in 2011. And I read Across the Universe by Beth Revis. Everyone loved and recommended it. I didn't like it very much. I'm going to go hide now...

Kaylee Baldwin said...

Great post :) I really liked Water for Elephants (but the naughty parts were so not needed and I can't recommend it to most people b/c of them--the movie is great, just watch that instead)

Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand was probably my top read of the year.

I am having a really hard time getting into Life of Pi. I liked the intro, but the book itself is hard to get into.

13 Reasons Why and Snow Flower and the Secret Fan were also good reads from this year.

Fikri Ferdiansyah said...

The information you provide helps me, a lot of new things that I found after reading the article you wrote.
Thank you so much for sharing this useful information.

Obat Degenerasi Makula Herbal Gejala Awal Kanker Paru-Paru Cara Supaya Tidak Merasakan Sakit Saat Berhubungan Seksual Obat Flu Singapura Herbal Obat Hemofilia