Sunday, January 15, 2012

The Red Solo Cup

Photo from CMT


Wow, I rarely hate a song.

That's not true.

I often hate a song... But this one I really dislike.

Toby Keith's Red Solo Cup.

Have you heard it?

It's just about those little red Solo cups you buy at Walmart for barbecues and Christmas parties and high school keggers. But that's where the annoying part comes in: the song (and video) remind me of keggers and teenagers getting drunk and stuff like that. Which would be just fine were the song coming from someone of Justin Beiber's or Taylor Swift's age range.

But Toby's? Really?

Let me ask my loyal readers this. Do you remember your last few years of high school? There you were in your ___________________ (insert 1990s fashion here). You were hanging out at a party (insert judgmental comment here: "I never went to a party and I can't believe Maggie did either. Where's the "Unfollow" button!)
And some guy pulls up in his black Trans Am with an eagle painted on the hood and everyone was like

"Who is that guy?! I swear he's like 22 or something. Ewww!"

Well, when I hear Toby Keith singing Red Solo Cup all I can think of is that gross old guy at the high school party. Here are my version of the lyrics:

Red solo cup. I fill you up.
Let's have a party.
Because I am 50.
(and I Googled it--he really is 50)

Oh ya Red solo cup.

I'm not saying older folks shouldn't party. Heck we use our share of red Solo cups all the time (for seltzer water--haha just kidding. We drink a mean cup of Sprite over here!). I just get the creepy high school kegger vibe from this song, and for that, Toby is just too old.

I mean the video has girls in Daisy Dukes and bikini tops in it. I dare say those aren't his peers.

That and, any song that uses the word testicle in a rhyme just doesn't get my vote.

Heard any lame music lyrics lately? Or, have any awesome red solo cup memories of your own?

12 comments:

Leigh Covington said...

Oh man. I usually like Toby, but I don't think I would like this song. I haven't even heard it yet, which I guess is a good thing. Hmm. I think Toby probably does party with the young peeps tho. He can do that with fame, but I'm like you... kinda looks stupid on him. *sigh* Dang it Toby!

Emily R. King said...

I'm not a huge country fan, so forgive the biased opinion that I'm not surprised this song bites the big one. It amazes me what people can pass off as music!

Jolene Perry said...

My red solo cup stories would not be blog appropriate ;-O

I listen to the songs I used to listen to in high school and am often SHOCKED at the lyrics.

Melissa Ann Goodwin said...

Seriously? He rhymed something with testicle? I'm trying to think what the rhyme would be! I was so boring in high school and I don't think I ever knew the right words to the songs, or like Jolene, I'd have been shocked! I do sometimes like Toby Keith though.

Rebecca H. Jamison said...

Does it count if I really like a song that's tacky? I think the song is called "Tonight" and it talks about a guy who wakes up with a tatoo that might look just like you. I think it's hilarious, especially the line about the white kids dancing.

Brittany said...

Have you ever seen Dazed and Confused (it's R, so of course I haven't) but this post totally reminds me of the kid Ben Affleck plays who keeps flunking his senior year so he can stay in high school! I have to say, I'm not surprised Toby Keith wrote a song that sucked because I haven't heard a song of his that didn't (just my opinion, not judging your taste in music). And when I listen to Hair Nation and hear some of the songs I used to listen to in high school I am shocked, SHOCKED at the lyrics.

Amie Borst said...

it's so funny - i just posted on my FB page today how much i hate this song! ugh! as a musician and writer, i don't know what's worse - the lyrics or the melody! *pokes eardrums out with spoons*

Angela Cothran said...

LOL! This is hilarious! Toby is a super senior!!! Do you remember those people? The ones who hang around the high school and by beer for the kids. It's sad really.

Jessica R. Patch said...

I'm not a fan of this song either! Give me a break. This post cracked me up!

Maggie said...

ANGELA--I so remember the super seniors!!!

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Ha ha! You are hilarious. I'm not a huge fan of country, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like this song. ;)

Rachael Renee Anderson said...

LOL. So funny. Here's one of my favorite country songs that is sure to make you smile. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQlMAoZF2Sk