Monday, January 23, 2012

Did the Kindle light your fire?

I know several of you got the new Kindle for Christmas. Me too. Me too.

I love it. It's so schnazzy and I feel all smart now. No, really, I do. (Except for when I'm yelling all the time "Aah, I didn't mean to hit that button!" No, I've never had a smart phone.)

But anywho, do you love it?

I've found I love reading magazines on it. Checking email. Playing games. Letting the kids watch movies. And browsing through the Amazon store. But as far as actually reading books, I'm still on the fence.

I think I might prefer the paper version.

It's just that even with the screen turned all the way down it kind of hurts my eyes at night. And the little percentage thing that tells you how far you are in a book just doesn't do it for me. I like to SEE my book with a bookmark in it and know I'm half way. I am ALWAYS accidentally highlighting things or turning the page when I don't mean to. Also, ebooks (at least the popular ones) don't seem to be a whole lot cheaper than regular books. I am enjoying lots of the classics for free though.

What's your thoughts? Did you love the e-reader as much as you thought you would?

10 comments:

Leigh Covington said...

Oooh! I'm so jealous. I want one so bad. Don't have one yet. I definitely prefer to read my books the "regular" way, but... I'm all about a Kindle too. I think it could definitely come in handy.

Emily R. King said...

I want a Kindle Fire for my birthday next month. My husband is well aware. I've played with my dad's and really like it. I also tried my mom's Kindle Reader 3G, and it's cool, but I prefer the Kindle Fire.
I have a feeling my kids will use it to play Angry Birds and I won't use it for reading as much as I'd like. :)

Jessica R. Patch said...

I don't have the Kindle Fire, but I do have a Kindle and I gotta say...I really do love it.

Yeah, I love books and if I'm purchasing a craft book, I buy in print. Highlighting isn't the same on the Kindle and frankly, I don't care how many others highlighted what passages. Cause when I'm reading. It's all about me! LOL

Jess Stork said...

I keep wondering what the next generation of kids will say. The generation that's been raised on iphones and facebook, if they'll prefer paper or ebook. I prefer paper books, like you said having a bookmark in the book and such. But I do like the kindle for trips, and checking out books from the library on the kindle is a lot of fun.

KaseyQ said...

I don't have a Kindle, but I did just get a laptop. I am still a page and paper girl with my books, but I do love it when I come across an inexpensive GEM of a book on Amazon. I just read Angelfall by Susan Ee (only $0.99!) and it was SOOO good (like, Hunger Games good). So that's one bonus for me, but yeah, when it comes down to it I want me a REAL book! ;-)

Angela Cothran said...

I really like my Kindle Touch, but I think I still prefer "real" books :)

Susan Oloier said...

I have the most basic Kindle. With the ads. But I now like it better than paper books. It has taken me quite awhile to get to this point, but *whispering* I don't know if I'll ever buy another paper book again *ducking*
Enjoy your new Kindle.

Peggy Eddleman said...

I don't have one, but I am reading a book on my iPhone. And the bookmark thing is what I miss the most, too! I hate not having a clue how far I am in it.

Jolene Perry said...

I ADORE my ereader.

ADORE.

SO jealous you have the kindle fire :D

Anna said...

I bought a Kindle e-reader earlier last year. I really do like that one for reading.

I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas (because I wanted a tablet, not necessarily for reading). I love the Kindle Fire. I have read on it a bit, but do prefer the other Kindle for reading. But as far as buying on the Kindle, the Fire is much smoother.