Friday, December 30, 2011

Looking back at your progress

Well, the year is almost up. Soon we will be ushering in 2012 with a new set of goals and aspirations.

So. How did you do?

Did you fly past your resolutions making this year one to go down in the history books? Did you land the dream agent? Did you finish the book? Did you sign a book contract?

Or, on the flip side, had you already given up/forgotten your goals before the Superbowl rolled around?

I think I fall somewhere in between. When I look at my goals for 2011, I admit, I'm bummed by what I DIDN'T do.

-I didn't land an agent.
-I didn't reach and STAY at my hot-Mama weight.
-I didn't write Danielle Never The Bride.
-I didn't land any new contracts.
-I don't have any more long term savings.
-I didn't attend a writer's conference.

But you know what? I think if I look at what I DID do this year, I would feel much better.

-I learned a lot about marketing and selling.
-I learned a lot about querying.
-I hit my hot-Mama weight, but then slipped back, and now I'm at a healthy weight that's somewhere in between.
-My blog grew in leaps and bounds.
-I co-authored a non-fiction book.
-I wrote 40,000 words on a new romance novel.
-I read 32 books.
-I learned to wakeboard (after three summers of trying).
-Our family successfully got through the first year of husband going back to school.
-I made some new friends and kept close with old ones.

Sometimes I think in the press to be so goal-oriented I forget that the steps along the way are accomplishments in themselves. It's not just the over-all prize that is important.

For instance. My eight-year-old daughter set out to read 250 chapter books in 2011. 250!!! However, she's not going to reach her goal. Instead she is going to finish the year at 240 books. There is no way she can look at that and not realize what an awesome accomplishment that is. She read 240 books in a single year when she was eight years old--and we're talking real chapter books like Secret Garden, Babysitters Club and Nancy Drew. That she missed her mark by a mere 10 books seems to be a moot point if you ask me.

So my question as you finish out 2011 is this:

What DID you accomplish this year? What are you proud of?

8 comments:

KaseyQ said...

This year I ran the Monument 10k, I opened my own etsy shop (which I had to close last month because I couldn't keep up with all the sales!), finished and submitted my first manuscript, won a short story contest and had the story published in an ebook, had several more stories accepted for publication in the Friend magazine, and- this is the biggest by far- realized I'm actually a writer and am now comfortable saying, "I'm a writer."

Thanks for inspiring me, Maggie. As long as we're moving forward and not backward, then it's all good! :-) Here's to a GREAT 2012!!

Rebecca H. Jamison said...

Sounds like you had a good year, Maggie.

For the past 3 years, one of my goals was to finish my novel and submit it to publishers. I finally did it this year. (I'm a slow writer.) I've learned a lot about publishing and marketing this year. But I still have a lot to learn.

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

Thanks for reminding me to look at the done list and not just the undone list.

Susan Oloier said...

I think you have so much to be proud of. You accomplished some terrific goals. It is so easy to simply stare in the face the goals we failed to reach and lose sight of the ones we did accomplish. Thank you for the reminder to remain present and aware.
Happy New Year!

Katie Dodge said...

Wow! Your daughter rocked it! How awesome for her!

I'm proud I finished my 75,000 word historical that I started in February. Now I just need to perfect that query.

And I'm bummed you're not going to Storymakers. :( But I understand the reason. See ya next year, I hope! :)

Angela Cothran said...

You and you little 8 year old are impressive :) Hot mama weight--LOL!

Jessica R. Patch said...

240 books?! Amazing! And you accomplished quite a bit yourself. Congrats.

I accepted literary representation this year. I polished 2 more books and I refinished my cabinets!

I did not make my weight goals. Sigh. It's on the table for this year. Again.

Jolene Perry said...

I don't do resolutions. Never have.

I did sit down and make a list of my "accomplishments" but they're so not important when I compare them to the fun stuff we did as a family.

I love the things you accomplished.
I suck at wakeboarding - it took me forever, and now I'm so out of practice, that I'm sure I completely suck again.