Sunday, December 18, 2011

Ahhh Shoot.

My sweet baby boy has a new phrase that cracks me up:

Ahhh shoot.


The first time I heard it he had spilled a cup of Goldfish down the stairs.

Ahhh shoot.

But now it's been adopted for lots of things.

Drop a toy?

Ahhh shoot.

Trip on the coffee table?

Ahhh shoot.

When I ask him, "Did you go poop?"

Ahhh shoot.

You get the picture. And now I have a little Ahhh shoot myself.

Am I going to the 2012 Storymakers Conference?

Ahhh shoot.

I know, I know. I PROMISED this was the year. I put it in my goals. I put it in my budget. I put it in the pre-planned-2012-babysitters-calendar. (Just kidding I'm not even close to that organized). But alas...

Ahhh shoot.

It's a no-go for me. And you want to know why? Of course you do!

Because my best friend moved to Denver in September and I was faced with this: go visit her for a weekend or go to a writing conference for a weekend. Both trips aren't in the budget for us college-student-salary-type folk (plus there is a big secret trip for the whole fam planned in the Spring that really eats up the budget). In the end it was a tough decision, but not that tough.

Go ahead, shake your head in disgust. Say I'm not taking my craft seriously. Say I'm not dedicated enough. Say what you want, I suppose.

I'm taking LIFE very seriously, which is exactly why I had to pick my Shalie.

Here is a picture of us in Boulder this weekend. It was so, much, fun.


AND HERE IS TO HOPING I SEE YOU AT THE 2013 CONFERENCE!!!

Have you ever made choices between family/friends and writing? Do you feel good about the choices you've made?

5 comments:

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

As your CP, I have to say, you made the right choice - and funnily enough, I believe it's a choice that worked more for your writing than the other one would have.
You got to see Shalie which will help with the stress and the "you time" which will ease up on the pressure of writing. Your work will benefit!
And yes, I make choices all the time between the two. It sucks that it has to be that way - but people choose between family and work all the time, it just isn't questioned when it's traditional "work".
Glad you had fun! Great pic!

Jessica R. Patch said...

I can relate. I really wanted to go to the ACFW conference this past September, but my husband felt like he was supposed to go back to Thailand on a Missions trip. I knew we couldn't swing both, but the right thing to do was give up the conference, something he would never have asked me to do.

I'm glad you had a great time! Right choices are always honored!

Peggy Eddleman said...

I think if you have a family, you pretty much make a choice between them and writing every day! I almost always feel good about the choices I make. Sometimes writing stuff HAS to happen, and I have to ignore them when they are wanting me, but I really try to make sure that doesn't happen often.

See you at the 2013 conference!

Brittany said...

Shaking my head. Was hoping to meet you.

Jolene Perry said...

I missed parts of the conference last year so I could visit friends and family.
So yeah, we all do what we need to do.