Monday, November 21, 2011

Jingle Bells--rejection style

**MUST BE READ WITH A JINGLE BELL TUNE IN YOUR HEARTS :)


Oh jingle bells, jingle bells

jingle all the way
Oh, what fun it is to ride
In a one horse open sleigh....

I hit the snooze again,
Sleep calls a little more.
But then I clamber out;
Author's got no time to snore.
I wipe my yucky eyes.
Hunker down at my chair
And oh what fun do I find?
Three rejections await me there.

Oh rejection time, rejection time
Those agents must hate me.
Rejection time, rejection time
Maybe I'll query another three.

I open up the first,
The words I'd heard before.
This novel isn't right for us,
But please, oh please try more.
Number two is the same.
"You're really not our fit.
But don't give up, you're really great,"
It seems so filled with it.

Oh rejection time, rejection time
Those agents must hate me.
Rejection time, rejection time
Maybe I'll query another three.

The third one is a form,
They just filled in my name.
They really think my book could work,
But not for them the same.
I close my sleepy eyes,
Bury my head in my hands.
Why oh why am I doing this?
Maybe I should start a band.

Oh rejection time, rejection time
Those agents must hate me.
Rejection time, rejection time
Maybe I'll query another three.

I put the rejections on the stack.
It's really getting high.
Thirty something no thank-yous,
I often wonder why?
I think of all the pros,
Who faced rejection too.
I imagine eating lunch with them
And laughing at those who are new.

Oh rejection time, rejection time
Those agents must hate me.
Rejection time, rejection time
Maybe I'll query another three.

So I straighten in my chair.
Query Tracker I look up.
I research another 53,
and hope we can hook up. (in the metaphoric/rhyming sense, that is)
Ms. Smith looks so cool.
Mr. Jones seems so neat.
I hope they will love my book
And then they can compete.

Oh rejection time, rejection time
Those agents must hate me.
Rejection time, rejection time
Maybe I'll query another three.

But Jones and Smith say "yuck".
I swear this is high school.
They can only pick the best.
I just wanted to be cool.
I try and try again,
And I hold out for that day,
When Mr. Perfect (agent that is)
Rings the door and says.

No more rejection time, rejection time
That agent sure loves me.
No more rejection time, rejection time
I won't query another three!

14 comments:

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

This was the cutest (but saddest) thing ever!

Maggie said...

I meant it sarcastic and fun. I'm not weeping or anything :)

E.R. King said...

LOL! I sang along. It was awesome, and so where I am right now. Too funny!

Cassie Mae said...

Oh my gosh, you had me knee-slapping! And I'm totally on the query train right now so it made my day!

Jessie Humphries said...

This is so creative. I wonder how long it took you to write this!

Abby Fowers said...

Can I laugh! You are awesome and this is so creative! I think we could all print it out and "feel" it often! Great job! Mr.(or Ms) Perfect Agent will find us soon - right?

Rebecca H. Jamison said...

Too funny, Maggie. Keep at it. I think you're awesome.

Jolene Perry said...

Oh yeah . . .
I think MOST of us have been there.

Kasey @ The Beautiful Thrifty Life said...

I added a key change in the middle- is that okay?

Good for you for keeping a positive attitude. Mockery is the best medicine. ;-)

Rachael Renee Anderson said...

HAhahahaha! Love it, Maggie! I'm so going to borrow it in a few weeks when I start querying. :) And really, you should totally start a band. Just at it to your list of talents.

Thanks for the laugh. You rock!

Peggy Eddleman said...

Wow! That was AWESOME! I think you totally captured querying, right there. Only in a much cooler way.

Angela Cothran said...

Maggie this was so great :) Maybe we can start that band together!

Ruth Josse said...

Man oh man, that is too funny! Love it, love it! :)

Sara Bulla said...

Great song! This is my fist time on your deluxe blog and I love it! Congrats on your book, I'm looking forward to reading it!