Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Did you know?

Did you know I have a whole other hobby/business/thing-that-takes-up-tons of time?

No... I don't do tight rope walking
No... It's not breastmilk selling
No... I'm not an envelope stuffer who makes thousands "from the comfort of my own home."

Are you out of guesses?

I will give you a hint. Here's my baby (and yes, it cost more than my first several cars... Combined.)


I'm a portrait photographer. I have been for close to ten years. I learned the skill in college and as a reporter at community newspapers during and after college. (WOW, writing and photography came from the same place!)

Just like my writing, my photography business goes in phases. When I'm in the mood I'll take on lots of sessions. When I'm too busy I pass my clients on to other photographers.

And why do I bring this up now?

Because during the past thirty days I did 20 mini sessions and one full newborn session, so it's very much on my mind right now as my rear sits in this chair and edits, and edits and edits until my eyeballs threaten to explode. You thought novel revisions were annoying? Try successfully Photoshopping a pesky hair out of a woman's eyeball.

So, if you want to check out my other thing. Go here.
For now I'll give you a little sneak peek into that other world.





What else keeps you busy? An etsy shop? Genealogy? The PTA?

13 comments:

E.R. King said...

Aww, I love them! Beautiful pics. I wish I lived closer so I could have you do my whole family. We're overdue for a portrait.

Jenny S. Morris said...

Looked at all the other pics, and you are awesome at capturing the best moments. The non-posed fun, foot just to the side moments. Love it!

Jolene Perry said...

Sewing and pics :D

My camera isn't as nice as yours. I have a canon rebel and it kills me that I don't have money for nicer lenses, but I do have a few . . .

I sometimes think I"d love to do portrait photography, but it always makes me nervous when friends ask me to do theirs.

LOVE your new profile pic :D

THANKS FOR SHARING!!

I love to see what my online people do when they're not writing!

Jolene

Kasey @ The Beautiful Thrifty Life said...

I have an etsy shop called Kasey's Beautiful Life. I sell mostly flower hair clips and some infinity scarf sets with matching hair clips that I make from upcycled t-shirts. I recently had an order for 15 flowers which is going to be consuming my time for the next day or two! I had to postpone it because I killed my glue gun. Pieces just started randomly falling off of it- I'm pretty sure it was due to excessive use and abuse. Ah, well. My new glue gun is fabulous. ;-)

I joke with people that I totally have creative ADD- I write, I do verrrrry amateur photography and I'm always crafting something- but it changes constantly depending on what new project tempts me on pinterest. ;-)

Love your photos!!

Angela Cothran said...

These are amazing Maggie. I'm a horrible photographer. I actually hate it. Maybe it is because I suck at it :)

Rebecca H. Jamison said...

I love your pictures!

My other passion is dance. It's is only useful when I want to embarrass my teenagers. I'm also starting to like running.

E.D. said...

Great photos! I love architecture and drawing floor plans :-)

E.D. said...

I almost forgot - the Versatile Blogger Award is yours. www.evadfarkas.blogspot.com

Jessica R. Patch said...

Those are so good! I love the baby in the basket. :)

I kill myself by refurbishing furniture when I'm not torturing and maiming myself writing.

I don't have the "eye" for photography. Half the time my actual target isn't even the center. "What's that square on my lens for?" Oh to center a picture. Nice.

Jessie Humphries said...

I love these pictures. The colors pop! Oh the busy stuff?? I help my husband run his business, and I practice law, and I chase babies.

Jessie Humphries said...

Btw...I just found your playlist...so awesome. Pandora just got a break. I am staying on yours!

Cassie Mae said...

Great pics! So cute!

Rebecca Kiel said...

I LOVE LOVE photography!! When I was a kid, my dad built a dark room in our basement. My brother was featured in a show. I had to carry the tripod on family vacations!