Friday, October 14, 2011

That post with an overabundance of dashes and parenthetical statements

I bet you didn't know that you were going to read the story of how me and my husband met. Yep. That's what's on the schedule. There's nothing Mommy today. There's nothing writerly today. There's not the usual random crazy fodder to fill your brain. Today I have an actual story.

In high school I was a one-man-woman and had a relationship that lasted several years and spilled into college. After an especially hard break up I took it upon myself to test the advice to date a bunch of guys and just have fun.

And so I did.

I rolled down the singles ward list with vigor. There was the pre-mission guy who I was certain I'd wait for (does four months count?) There was the recent convert who LOVED the same football team as me (if that's not celestial enough, what is?) Unfortunately he also loved to date (and kiss) lots of girls at the same time. There was the guy down the hall who was still too immature. There was the fun guy who made me feel like a million bucks but was also stuck helplessly in a decade old love-triangle that he couldn't completely break free from. Next there was his roommate. He was a super fun guy. The only guy I'd ever dated who was shorter than me, but still very cute and training to be a pilot. For a date he invited me and previous-boyfriend-roommate-guy up in his little plane over Eastern Washington. Oh what fun, right?! Right... The ride started innocent enough. I offered to sit in the tiny back seat while the two guys sat up front. Yeah, I know. This is sounding less and less like a date. Anywho, about twenty minutes into the ride we started doing some left-then-right maneuvers. Some up-then-down maneuvers. Some oh-crap-I'm-going-to-barf-maneuvers. And when date looked back and saw me sweating profusely and completely green, he knew what was about to come up. He emptied out his pilot bag and I filled it faster than you could say Holy Ruined Date. But I digress. That man is not my husband. Moving on.

A mutual friend introduced me to a guy named Dan at a fireside and I didn't think much of him. Sorry. No love at first sight. He was nice, but he said "hi" and that was it. But the second time I saw him, I remember well. I was at a canoeing activity (new singles ward, new roster of potential datees). A huge black truck came barreling into the parking lot pulling a monstrous trailer of canoes and I had one thought: "Now this guy looks like a Wyoming guy!" (Everyone in Wyoming has a humongous truck and the lack of humongous trucks in Washington, since I grew up in Wyoming, was a serious beef of mine). A few weeks later the friend who had introduced us started inviting me to a few hangouts where Dan was. But--and let me get this straight here--I had no clue he liked me. If there was one thing I'd learned about Dan (besides that he had a great truck), was that he was silent. Very. Very. Quiet.

The group activities (in which I was usually the only girl in a big group of guys who had grown up together) consisted of swimming in pools and swimming in lakes and watching movies. And now that I think about it, I wonder if this was a ploy to get me in my swimsuit on multiple occasions. Hmmm... Anyway, guess what happened? One of the guys asked me out.



But it wasn't Dan.


Holy schmoley is this post getting long. Sorry. I will continue it on Monday!

Did this strike a cord with your dating life? I'd love to hear a dating disaster or experience of yours.

11 comments:

E.R. King said...

I didn't know you lived in Washington. Cool! And what a great story about you and your hubby. Mine was similar to yours. I knew mine for over a year before I saw him "that way."
I look forward to reading Part 2!

Rebecca H. Jamison said...

It's fun to read about your adventures, Maggie. Here are my disasters, which aren't quite as good as yours. I dated a guy a couple times who asked if I'd like to go to an x-rated movie. Um, no.

Another time, I was really excited about a particular date. On the day of the date, I changed laundry detergents and ended up with the worst rash I've ever had. I had welts all over my body but I went anyway. Not very impressive. I should have stayed home.

Abby said...

OH man - continue on Monday? I'm dying here! LOL. Loving it though. I don't know if I even want to remember my dating life. Biggest one was my high school boyfriend. Dated 3 years - tried to wait while he went on his mission. Didn't work out when he got home. He didn't even come see me for 2 weeks and decided he'd take every other girl on a date first AND kiss them. Not cool. haha. Then there were a lot of losers - some awesome ones. And then I was set up on a blind date and he ended up being "the one." So crazy.

Jessica R. Patch said...

What? A cliffhanger?! Shame. ;)

I once went on a date when I was 16 with an older guy. We went to see Silence of the Lambs, and um...I got carded and couldn't get in, and he couldn't get me in b/c he wasn't my guardian.

Thought I was going to die!

A lady behind us stuck her finger in my back, signaling to keep quiet, and said she was my aunt, so that's how I got in. I felt about 10, but in the first few scenes, when older guy jumped and covered his eyes, I felt way over 21!

Another date I went on was with my sister's first husband's friend. Brother in law gave me some gum before the date. It was trick gum and it turned my teeth, tongue, and gums BLUE! And that's just a couple! lol

Jolene Perry said...

Dated a few disasters, but individual disastrous dates?? Not as much :D

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

Dude! An ending like that? Frowning, I may call you to get the rest. lol. Great post though. I can just see Dan saying hi. hahaha

I never dated cause I didn't want to get pregnant! (i thought that's what happened on dates) seriously. So Bri was first REAL date and first kiss and there you go!

Angela Cothran said...

Oh, I LOVE hearing about how people met :) I'm going to tune in on Monday so I can find out how you made Dan talk.

Kasey @ The Beautiful Thrifty Life said...

I was chuckling reading your story because I was like, "Wait, those are all the guys I dated!!

Let's see, my worst date was a blind date with a guy who was just...well, not my type. At ALL. I actually faked being sick so he would take me home early. And then to confirm that he was not my type, he kindly stalked me for several months afterward until my stepfather threatened to call the police on him. Nice.

Excited to read the rest of your story! :-)

Rachael Renee Anderson said...

You had me busting up at the airplane date. Thanks for the laugh and smiles. Can't wait to hear the rest since there's nothing like a great romance. :)

Carol Kilgore said...

Great hook!

Now I HAVE to come back Monday.

Thanks for visiting and commenting at my blog.

Carol
Under the Tiki Hut

Obat Sinusitis said...

I am very happy because they can find information about this excellent, This is one of information that has long was I was looking for, I hope you continue to update the latest information more definitely still associated with it, Maybe I'll come back again to visit here to find other interesting information, Thank you so much because you have been willing to share it all, And this course I will inform all my friends to the same'm looking for this information ..

Toko QnC Jelly Gamat Obat Infeksi Saluran Kemih Obat Thalasemia Klik Blog Herbal Obat Radang Sendi Tradisional Cara Mengobati Rasa Gatal Akibat Jamur Di Selangkangan Obat Kanker Vulva Obat Kanker Esofagus Obat Benjolan Di Leher