Monday, October 17, 2011

The rest of the story

On with the story of how Dan and I met.

So anyway, like I said, one of the guys of the group asked me out, but it wasn't Dan. We went on a few dates--one super fun one that involved jumping off a thirty foot bridge into a river--but decided to just move on. All the while I continued to hang out with the group of guys. Then one day Dan called and invited me to a group activity. I didn't think much of it.
When the three guys picked me up, they insisted I ride in the front seat (Dan was driving, but not the cool truck). Dan said "hi" and NOTHING ELSE for the entire two hour drive to the lake cabin for a day of boating (and yes, more swim suits for me).
Anyways, to make a monstrous long story a little bit shorter, more and more of these group things went on.
Then one day Dan called and asked me out. I thought this a little bit odd since I had kind of gotten comfortable in the group setting. But I said yes. We did a double date to the fair with a couple who was really lovey dovey. Then a few days later Dan took me mudding. Or, if you're from Washington, you would call it "four-bying." Psshhh. Either way it means tromping around on huge hills and muddy backroads in a truck. I had a BLAST! In fact, I hadn't had so much fun since Wyoming. Still, Dan barely talked and when he kissed me that night he was so nervous he almost fainted-- no joke!
We went on several more dates over the next couple of weeks, but not much changed. Finally, I couldn't handle the sitting in silence (I'm pretty social) and I told Dan the dating thing just wasn't working. I broke up with him and went back to the roster of potential datees.
But guess what? Dan didn't give up.
We went back to hanging out with the whole group. We started hanging out alone--as JUST FRIENDS. And you know what? As soon as the pressure of being a boyfriend-girlfriend was off, Dan opened up. He speaks!!!
Over the next six months, Dan and I became best friends. We weren't dating (at least in the regular sense). We didn't kiss. But we hung out every single day and I had the time of my life. The non-dates Dan and I enjoyed included: smashing pumpkins off of bridges; going on super long drives to nowhere; riding bikes; camping (don't worry, these trips were supervised people); and just hanging out. And talking. And talking. And talking.
One night after a super fun mudding trip, I walked in my door and said to my Mom "I'm going to marry him someday." I immediately covered my mouth and backtracked "No, I'm not. It's Dan!"
Dan was an awesome best friend.
I graduated college and took a few months off and started needing to figure out a life plan. I signed up to join the Americorp (think Peacecorp in America) and began getting ready to move to Maryland in January. Something in my heart told me not to go over and over and over again. But I had no real reason to stay. I didn't have a job. I didn't have a boyfriend. I was ready to move on in life. My plane tickets were on their way for me to leave in less than a month.
It was December and Dan offered to pick me up for the Church's annual Christmas Devotional broadcast. I told him he didn't need to and I rode with my Mom. After the program, Dan asked if he could drive me home. Again I told him he didn't need to I could ride with my mom. Talk about a major plan foiler! I went home and about an hour later he called and asked if he could come over.
Remember we were not DATING (in fact I was still going on dates with other guys although I didn't have a boyfriend). Dan came over to the house and we were down in my room talking but he was acting weird. He was so freaking nervous for some reason, and I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was.
He kept saying stuff about how much fun we had together and everything like that. Finally, exasperated with what he was trying to get across, I said "Are you trying to say you want to try dating again?" (Remember I was planning on moving across country in a matter of weeks).
Dan went down on his knee pulled out a gorgeous ring and said, "Actually no. I'm saying will you marry me?"




Yes. Talk about a shocker.
Now, most of you kind of knew when your proposal was coming. Right? Me? Not. A. Clue. We weren't even dating! Beat that for shortest Mormon relationship!

It sounds corny, but with absolutely shaking hands I just said a silent prayer and asked Heavenly Father if it was right, and I knew it was. I really, really knew.


And I said yes!


We kissed. Told everyone else. And were married four months later.


Crazy huh? I love the behind-the-scenes story of our engagement though. On one of our nights tromping around in the backwoods I guess (I don't remember this) I described my dream wedding ring to Dan. He remembered. He bought it for me.

Also, during singles ward that morning, he had snuck out of Church and went and asked my Dad's permission to marry me. You know what my Dad said? "Don't feel too bad if she says no."

But I said yes.

It was a different route to marriage than most people's, but it had to be that way for us. It would have NEVER worked out the first time around (when he was still Mr. Silent), but becoming best friends was the perfect natural progression for one of the shyest guys in the world.

Dan is still a pretty quiet guy. Not at home, of course, but around new people. He is the most wonderful man I know. I am so blessed that he picked me. I love him with all of my heart. And I am so lucky we get to be together for eternity.

Share your real-lief love story. The long or the short of it.

14 comments:

Jessica R. Patch said...

Ok, I totally love his line about not dating but actually wanting to marry you. AND your dad's comment made me spew coffee out my nose! LOVE it.

What a great way to start my day. I was already dreaming up romantic scenes for my characters and this story helped put me in the mood.

Maggie, how awesome is this! :)

Carol Kilgore said...

Such a sweet story! I'm happy you and Dan found each other. And that he was persistent :)

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

I actually have tears in my eyes. Love it!

ANd now I know why you like the best friend romance stories. This is awesome. Thank you so much for sharing with us!

Rebecca H. Jamison said...

I love what your Dad said when Dan asked his permission. Too funny.

My husband and I met on a blind date. He didn't want to go, so to ask me out he wrote an obnoxious note that said, "Do you want to get together and play spin the bottle?"

Kasey @ The Beautiful Thrifty Life said...

Ack! Oh, the sweetness of it! What an awesome story!!!

I was dating someone else when I met my husband for the first time. The guy I was with asked me to marry him a few times but I never felt right about it. Then after Sept. 11th he was deployed and we had kind of decided to take a breather anyway. That's when Chad stepped in. A week after our first date I knew I wanted to marry him and I told him so. He agreed that sounded like a pretty good idea. Another week after that he officially proposed and 6 months later we got married. Now 9 years and 3 kids later I'm still glad he picked me. :-) :-) :-)

Abby said...

This is awesome! Awesome. Yes, I am tearing up! He sounds so cool. We love muddin' and big trucks!

My hubby was a blind date. We went on a couple dates after. We were both out of bad relationships and he was kind of a punk as we started out. lol. Finally I was like, "whatever" and started dating his friend (who wanted to take me out). Yeah, that fixed the problem. It only took 1 date for him to get his head out of his butt. We got married 1 year and 1 month after the initial blind date. After the chaos of previous relationships we both wanted to be "Sure". :)

i'm erin. said...

Such a sweet story. I love it. I met my husband when he was dating my sister. Gross, I know.

E.R. King said...

Totally loved this story! Yes, I knew when I was getting engaged. I had to browbeat my boyfriend of 5 years into taking the plunge. He was a tough nut to crack, but I don't think he regrets it... at least not most days. : )

Jolene Perry said...

That's awesome.

Mike and I were friends for a long time before we started dating. SUCH an awesome way to fall in love.

raelynbarclay said...

That's sweet :)

My Guy and I met on a blind date. We knew pretty early we'd get married but not the when. He proposed the day we got the keys to our first house...I was taken by complete surprise.

Julianna said...

Thank you for sharing your love story...loved it.

My husband met the craziest way possible. His soon-to-be-ex-wife introduced us. I was working with her at the time and we were quite good friends. She and Brett were still good friends and she felt like a louse for cheating on him (which she was) and decided to invite me over when he was there. The rest is history. I knew that first meeting I could love him. She never dreamed it would work out so well!!!

Angela Cothran said...

I can't believe I missed this yesterday. On Friday I told myself not to forget to check this out on Monday :( Sorry, I'm late.

I love this. What a perfect story. Bravo, to you for being so open to "just being friends." I'm too intense for that. I had to break-up with my commit-a-phobic husband a few before he would ask me to marry him. I wasn't going to waste my time. Just goes to show there isn't one right way.

Great story :)

Rachael Renee Anderson said...

So. Dang. Cute! Love your story, Maggie. It reminds me a lot of Growing up Gracie, and I loved that book. :) Thanks for sharing it!

Melanie Jacobson said...

Awww! I love best friend romances!