Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Five-Year Plan

This beezniss can be a tough one. I told my critique partner yesterday that I'm convinced we get 100 bad news-es for every one good news. And those good newses are SLOOOOOOOW coming. To make it as an author, you need to have an eye for the long term.

So, what is your five-year writer's plan?

Here is where I hope to be in five years:
-I hope to be enjoying writing
-I hope to have an agent
-I hope to have two more LDS published titles
-I hope to have at least one mainstream published book
-I hope to still be reading a lot of craft books, and just-for-fun books
-I hope to be attending conferences
-I hope to be still maintaining my platform through my blog (if blogging is even still around by then)

What about you. What are your long term goals?

9 comments:

Cassie Mae said...

what a great list! I hope the same things for myself (minus the LDS published titles, because I haven't published one yet, lol)

Jessica R. Patch said...

Sweet list!
I hope to be published. Hope to have my friggin website up and running. Sigh. Hope to grow my platform. Hope to find a cream that reduces crows feet, but that has nothing to do with writing...unless I'm researching for a book, which...I'm not. :)

Rebecca H. Jamison said...

Wow! I was just thinking of all that's going to be different in 5 years. I'll have 2 kids out of the house (hopefully) and my youngest will be in 1st grade. It makes me want to enjoy today. But back to my list.

Ideally, I'll have 3 novels published by then. (My first comes out in May, so if I work hard and get lucky, it might happen.)

I want to be teaching at the community college (using my MA finally.)

My mainstream novel is unpublished, and I'm still wrapping my head around this publishing thing, so who knows? I mostly write for fun.

Jessie Humphries said...

I want to be a millionaire, living in a beach house, with a live-in nanny, and a black Denali...wait. Is this five year plan supposed to be realistic?

Abby Fowers said...

I love this. It's important to look at the big picture and set goals. I'm going to go think mine up and write them down, right now! :)

E.R. King said...

Good list! I honestly don't have much of a 5-year plan right now. I'm living life day to day for the first time ever. It's kinda nice.
Best of luck with your goals!

i'm erin. said...

Great goals!

I hope to have an agent, be published in the national market, have a family that doesn't hate me...and maybe have thick and long, luscious hair.

Jolene Perry said...

I'm not sure... I feel like I'm on a good path, but you never know what will happen. I hope that in five years I've settled into being a writer.

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

Hey Maggie, Love your list.

I hope in 5 years to not be saying "when I have money".

Lol.