Monday, September 19, 2011

Sometimes the two don't mix



I LOVE my kids. These four littles are a HUGE part of why I felt I was put on this Earth. Without them I would not be complete.

I LOVE to write. I feel I was called by Heavenly Father to write. When I go even a few days without writing, I begin to feel down.

Writing is an excellent stay-at-home Mom job because you can do it from your own computer. However, I find being a Mom and being a writer at the same time don't mix. My writing schedule has traditionally been from 5-6:30 a.m. but over the past several weeks I have been a super lazy bones and not gotten out of bed early. Boy have I paid for this!

So, instead of writing when the house is quiet and peaceful, I've tried to eek out my word count during my Mommy hours.

Here's the results: (and please don't analyze the writing. This is a very, very, first rough draft)

Emmy ordered a hot chocolate and warmed her hands around the cup.
Mom, I need a drink of water!

She held it under her mouth and let the steam swirl up and meet
Mom, Lily's hitting Ryan!


her lips. The train was freezing. She glanced at the clock over the bar
How many minutes until the bus gets here? My hair is messed up, can you do it again?

and saw it was four forty five in the morning. They should be in Greybull by six.
Mom, you NEVER pay attention to me! I said I want a snack.
Me: let's turn on the TV for a few minutes.


Emmy finished the drink and tiptoed past the sleeping passengers on both sides of her. She reached under her seat
Mom! It's on grown-up shows!

and pulled out the blanket the attendants had passed out. She wrapped it around her shoulders
Mom! Did you pack my snack? *Baby begins crying*
Ryan wants up on the bed!


and
Mom! Come see this!
Me: Just a minute!
No. You have to hurry!
Me: Just a minute!
MOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!
*I rush to the TV to see a commercial for anti-acne cream*
Mom, maybe you should get that. Then your face would be more prettier.


pulled up the socks she had put on over her stockings. Emmy reached for the chair
I think the bus is coming!
*Baby cries*
Lily just hit Ryan!


in front of her to sit down but the train lurched forward and
Mom. Come wipe!
*Turns off computer*



Tomorrow I WILL wake up at 5 a.m. Anybody want to give me a wake-up call?

How do you mix motherhood and writerhood? Or do you, like me, find they need to occupy different time slots?

13 comments:

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

hahahaha, this is AWESOME!

I actually found this out a few years ago. Now I write during naps or when the kids are so distracted downstairs or outside there is no way they would even think to interrupt me. It's hard to focus on anything when there's the chance they need attention.

I know you do a great job of mixing the two. It might not seem like it, but you do.

And seriously. If you want me to give you a wakeup call, you know I will. I'm up already : )

hugs so funnny! LOL

julie fedderson said...

OMG, I live this every day. It's why I write from 9pm on--bedtime rocks. Thanks for sharing your day, I feel much better knowing someone else goes through this too.

E.R. King said...

Excellent post. The struggle between motherhood and anything that takes us away from motherhood is enormous. It's important to still have hopes and dreams beyond a two-year-old potty training though. It's good for us, and it's good for our kiddos. They need to see how hard their parents work... even if it's at 5 am in the morning. : )

raelynbarclay said...

LOL, yep, that's my day minus the baby crying but add the dog needing to be let in, let out, fed, watered...

I used to love that 5am writing time but that has been taken over by 5:30am dog walking time so we don't die in the heat. Now that school is back in session my writing is in the afternoons when my kinder is at school. Now if I can just remember to turn off the internet ;)

Melanie Stanford said...

Haha- I've been there. I find it best to write right after lunch. I have two in school, the youngest naps, and the middle is either at preschool (twice a week) or I can usually get her to sit and watch a movie. Lots of times this doesn't work out though, so I have to leave the writing till after the kids are in bed.

Jolene Perry said...

Oh, yes . . . this is familiar. WHen my kids are up and about, and I don't know what they might fight about/need, I do blogs, I do critiques, I do light edits.

When they've plopped in front of a movie, or when Emma's at school, and jack's at pre-school, I can really dig in.

Otherwise I turn into a bad, bad, grouchy mommy.

Abby said...

LOL. Oh, this scenario is all to familiar at my house. I have to write during nap time (and while other kids are at school) OR at bedtime when they are asleep. I am NOT a morning person so I have to do it later. Wondering if one day I can make myself a morning person though. That would be nice.

raelynbarclay said...

BTW...I nominated you for an award. Stop by my blog for the details :)

Katie Dodge said...

Yes, this is familiar. :) I need to get my butt out of bed early if I plan on writing during the day because lately I'm useless at night to write anything good. And I feel guilty if I'm sitting at the computer while my kids are around. Oh, if there were just a few more hours in the day...

Kaylee Baldwin said...

I can't write on my wip when my kids are awake or else I'll go crazy and everything I write is disjointed. I blog, edit other people's manuscripts, and email when the kids are running around and write when they are asleep or my husband is home and I can shut myself up in the bedroom. I don't think I could get up at 5am, though. I write mostly in the evenings after the kids bedtime (my husband has a lot of meetings at that time anyway) and on the weekends.

Anonymous said...

I've been surfing online greater than 3 hours these days, but I by no means discovered any interesting article like yours. It's pretty worth sufficient for me.
In my view, if all site owners and bloggers made just right content as you
did, the internet will likely be a lot more useful than ever before.


my site: cheap health insurance

Dian said...

Thankfulness to my father who told me on the topic of this web site, this
blog is really remarkable. Obat Herbal Mata Silinder
I’ve been surfing online more thаn 4 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. it is pretty worth enough for me. Obat Rabun Senja
In my view, if all web owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the net will be much more useful that ever before.
Pengobatan Herbal Gangguan Prostat Obat Herbal Endometriosis

Toko Herbal QnC Jelly Gamat said...

I am very excited to be able to get this very useful information, This is one of the best articles I just found today, I hope you keep updating other information that is still related to this, I'm really looking forward to something new like that, Thank you very much because you have shared this news to us all, best regards

Cara Mengobati Gigi Berlubang Cara Mengobati Sakit Tulang Ekor Cara Mengobati Benjolan Di Payudara Obat Radang Usus Cara Mengobati Miss V yang Gatal Cara Mengobati Infeksi Paru-Paru Obat Infeksi Paru-Paru Obat Infeksi Usus Obat Anemia Cara Mengobati Telinga Berdengung