Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Wait, wait, wait

As the microwave ticks down the seconds, I stand there impatiently tapping my foot. Fifty seconds is all it takes to warm a corn dog for my kids, but hungry children can do a lot of screaming in fifty seconds!

Teaching children to WAIT can be a difficult lesson. But I believe teaching adults to wait can be even harder.

If you are anywhere near the generation I occupy, you probably find waiting difficult. We are part of the "instant gratification" era where we can quite literally get what we want when we want it.

Remember the days when you and your friends waited to hear a certain song on the radio? I would sit with my cassette tape in the stereo and my finger poised over the RECORD button waiting for the announcement of my favorite song.

But not today. Today you type in the title of a song on your computer. Or your phone. Or your ipad or ipod or e-something-or-other. And instantly you have the lyrics, the downloadable version (legal and illegal), and a music video. Getting your needs met quickly is quite easy.

However, even in today's super-fast world, there are still things we have to wait for.

When I think of waiting, the most torturous wait seems to be the process of having a baby. First there is the wait until you're ready to get pregnant. Then there is the wait to conceive (counting days and what not). Then there is the wait until a pregnancy test is viable. Next, if timing is right and you get a + sign, the WAIT of your life awaits you. Forty weeks of wait, wait, wait.

There are many other waits in life as well. We wait for our children to hit milestones. We wait for jobs to change or health to improve or relationships to evolve.

And waiting is hard. Oh my gosh is waiting hard.

I honestly feel like I have been waiting this entire summer for a few emails. A whole season of waiting!

Although I wish this weren't a lesson Heavenly Father needs me to learn (patience), I know I need it. And so I wait with a cheerful--I mean somewhat cheerful--heart and hope for the best.

What has been a difficult wait in your life? Do you handle waiting well?

10 comments:

julie fedderson said...

My whole approach to waiting is to keep as busy as possible so I forget to think about it. Some days I think I wear the button out on my Iphone checking messages.

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

At least you're positive about it. I'm going crazy.

You're awesome Miss Maggie. And you definitely have more patience than me.

E.R. King said...

You're dead on, Maggie. I feel like I've been waiting for three years and intensely waiting for 13 months. Life is all about waiting! Funny thing is, when you get what you want, what you've been waiting for is replaced by something else. The cycle goes on and on and on... sorry that was kinda depressing, huh? LOL! Good for you for being cheerful! I'm having an "Eyore" day.

Jolene Perry said...

5 years for baby number one.

And yes, waiting is SO SO SO hard.

I thought once I had an agent, the waiting would be easier, but it isn't. It's harder. I'm now waiting for editors, and it's SO nervewracking!!!

Good luck with your lessons in patience :D

Claire Robyns said...

The art of waiting has definitely become lost. I can't even point a finger at my kids, because I'm just as bad. Instant gratification is what life today is about, and what terrifies me is where does it go from here, lol.

Susan Oloier said...

Hi Maggie,
Thanks for stopping by today. I am not a fan of Dead Until Dark either. Frankly, I can't wait until I'm done with it to move on (so there is something I cannot wait for).
Otherwise, I am a very patient person. Since my second son's birth and a diagnosis that said he would not live 2 months, I have learned to live in the moment. I have become quite patient as a result of his life. Before he came along, I was impatient about everything. Including traffic.
Very nice post. And...I totally remember hanging out by the radio, hand poised by the "record" button. That made me smile :-)

Katie Dodge said...

Oh, the time we wasted waiting for the radio to play "the" song so we could record it. That took me back!

Hoping you don't have to wait much longer! :)

Kelley said...

Waiting is killer, but I try to distract myself with anything but what I'm waiting on. Multi-tasking helps :)

Deborah A. said...

Well, we dealt with 6 years of infertility, so I can totally relate to your pregnancy analogy. With our oldest, we found out about him in June and then had to wait until October before he was born. Those were the longest four months of my life. And then after he was born, we had to wait 72 hours before the birth mother could relinquish her parental rights. Those 72 hours felt like all four months squished into three days. That was rough.

I think I have learned a lot of patience and I now have a "gift" for waiting. ;) Does that mean I like it? Nope. But I can do it.

Misty Moncur said...

Oh man, if I have to wait for a webpage to load, I become infuriated.