Wednesday, August 3, 2011

How do you say it in your neck of the woods?



~Do you drink soda or a pop?
~Do you sit on the couch, the sofa, or maybe even the Davenport?
~Do you put your insurance card in the glove box, the glove compartment, or the jockey box?
~Do you go snowmobiling, snow machining or out on sleds (and if you live in Wyoming you know I don't mean sleds as in the little things with runners, I mean actual motorized snow mobiles)?
~When the roads are slick, do you spin cookies, donuts, or brodies?

Depending upon where you live--or in my case, where I grew up--you say things in your very own way.

I drink pop. Never soda.
I sit on the couch. I use the glove box. I go snowmobiling or sledding, but not snow machining.
I only spin cookies, and when my husband says he's been spinning brodies, I look at him like he's an idiot. What the heck is a brodie? Only us Wyomingites know the proper way to describe the Friday-night-not-a-care-in-the-world-spinning-of-a-big-beefy-truck-phenomenon. Washingtonians don't have a clue.

Are you with me here? And do you ever think about this in your writing? I think you should. I'm not saying you need to use overly annoying cajun speak that your readers can't even understand, but I think you should try to be familiar with some of those terms the "locals" would use in your setting.

In my novel, Growing Up Gracie, Gracie and Quentin spend a lot of time "mudding" on back roads. My husband would certainly call this "four-bying," (but hey, he can write his own book if he wants to! hehe).

So, how do they say it in your neck of the woods? Use my examples or your own.

4 comments:

Jessica R. Patch said...

Where I grew up, it was soda or sodie, but I refuse to say the latter.

Here? It's Coke. Everything is Coke. My son says, brown coke, orange coke, white coke (sprite), his drink holder is called his "coke holder" Never forget him saying that at the ripe old age of 3!

We say donuts and sledding!

Super fun post!

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

Love this post.
I say pop, I think. Sometimes soda. hmmm.
I get made fun of for saying bag like beg. Big time and it's not even an area thing. I just say it that way.

Deborah A. said...

It's soda (though I don't drink it no matter what it's called). I sit on a couch. I put my insurance card in the glove box. I have never spun doughnuts, but that's what I'd call them. (Though after living in Idaho for a decade, I am more likely to call them cookies now.) And I think I'd probably say snow machining. As far as "mudding" goes, we'd say off-roading or boon doggin'.

Have you ever heard a car referred to as an outfit? Or stuffing referred to as dressing? I have. And it took me a long time to figure out what both were. What is with these Idahoans? :)

Melanie Jacobson said...

I was just making fun of drinking "pop" in my manuscript today. :) In Louisiana, everything is Coke and you have to specify which kind you want. Sprite, root beer, etc. Coke just means soda. Or pop.