Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Beware of the Boat Launch Elitist


I don't have a pic of his Boat Launch Eliteness in action, so here's a hot one of him in his wet suit ready to wakeboard.


My husband is a pretty humble guy, but whenever he begins backing our boat trailer down that concrete ramp he morphs into The Boat Launch Elitist.

Getting a vessel off a trailer and into the lake is something he has mastered, and all non-masters annoy the crap out of him. If people don't know how to back their trailer up straight (and let me be the first to say, this is not easy), he is frustrated. If people don't immediately move their boat to the end of the dock and allow for more boaters, he tends to mumble. If people do the illegal thingy where they power launch straight from the trailer, he considers giving them the finger (of course he never would, he was an Eagle Scout for goodness sakes!). All in all, few boat launchers can measure up to The Elitist's standards.

In addition to the boat launching venue, I have found Elitists in other fields as well. The worst being photography. Over the past several years I had a portrait photography business. I was trained in photography in college and as a news reporter. However, because SLRs (read: fancy cameras) are now getting more and more affordable, new photographers are popping up left and right. And the old-school folk DO NOT LIKE IT! I've never seen a world where professionals bash and put each other down so much. It is dog-eat-dog and, honestly it is very, very sad. Instead of showing their worth as a photographer by taking amazing pictures, they attempt to show their worth as a photographer by writing lengthy blog posts about their competition, by bashing newbies on forums, and most of all by forgetting they were once new too.

What's the point of all this Elitist talk? Let me tell you. I AM NOT FINDING THIS IN THE WRITING WORLD! It is so refreshing to have a blog community of newbies and oldies (in age and writing time, haha) who are kind and encouraging. I wrote my first novel with no knowledge of the wealth of writerly advice out there online. Can you believe I didn't even have the Internet? But when I came online about two years ago at my publisher's insistence, I found a supportive, wonderful group of friends.

Thank you writerly folk. Thank you for being helpful to us newbies. Thank you for not treating us like you're so much wiser, smarter and better EVEN when we know you are. I hope I can be just as encouraging to those just finding the writing path.

As for you boaters out there, clear the launch, we're coming through.

Are there some areas where you tend to think you know it all and are annoyed by others? Have you found the writing world to be supportive and encouraging of new talent?

8 comments:

Jolene Perry said...

Writers are the BEST people.

BUT - I will say that i worked at a marina one summer, and spent most of my teenage years driving trailers - horses or boats.

And yeah, I do the SAME thing at boat launch. Makes me CRAZY!

Chantele Sedgwick said...

Writers really are the best. I love this community. Everyone is so supportive. I don't know what I'd do without you guys! :)

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

Great post. I laughed so hard picturing hubby acting that way. hahaha
sounds like mine with parking - he was a valet for a few years and can paralell on a dime!

I'm super stuck up with.... wait for it.... food. I actually won't eat out when I want certain things cause I know I can make it better. Terrible, I know! : )

Jessica R. Patch said...

I agree! Writers are the bestest! :)

Everyone has been supportive, helpful, fun, and friendly. I only wish I'd have gotten online sooner.

My husband is that way about driving in general, especially big rigs. He's been in the trucking industry for years. Drives him nuts.

I'm not a know-it-all in anything, but I'm annoyed anyway! LOL

E.R. King said...

Your hubby and my hubby would get along swell. LOL!
As for the writing world, I think for the most part we are supportive of each other. There's always the exception, but overall, everyone is wonderful.

Kaylee Baldwin said...

I've had a great experience with writers--new and experienced alike. The whole blogging commnity thing is new for me and I have met some really great people through their blogs.

Kristin Baker Przybyla said...

I would have loved to see your husband's face the time my ex backed his tiny hatchback Honda Civic off the dock when he was launching his little boat. I still don't know how he got that car out of the water...

You're right, the writing community is so helpful and encouraging toward all others, newbies and seasoned vets alike!

Maggie said...

Kristin--oh my gosh! Yes, Boat Launch Elitist would have had words for that!