Thursday, July 28, 2011

A Poll for my LDS readers

If you've been Mormon long, you know we have lots of terms that can be baffling to the non-Mormon population.

For instance, what in the world is a Mia Maid?
What does PEC stand for?
And does a fireside really involve fire?

My critique partner and I are working on a special project, and I'd love for you to leave any Mormon Terms that Mystify in my comment box. These are the words that might have been confusing to you when you first became a member.

It would help us out greatly! Thanks.

5 comments:

Chantele Sedgwick said...

I didn't know what a BYC was. And since you started with Mia Maid, I'll put Laurel and Beehive on here too. And Deacon. And Mutual. Relief Society.
I could add plenty more. ;)

E.R. King said...

Bishops Youth Counsel is BYC, but that's all I know!

Jolene Perry said...

BYC
Stake
Ward
Elder
Mutual
Priesthood stuff
splits
bishop
(pretty much all the offices)
ward council
stake council
bishopric
seventy


really, when you don't grow up around these terms EVERYTHING sounds weird.

I remember.

Sari said...

What about the MTC or is that the empty sea?
Stake House (Steak House)also throw others off.

Deborah A. said...

A ward is confusing, because outside the church, "wards" are in hospitals and mental institutions. Also, baptisms for the dead. Unless you're LDS, that sounds mighty creepy.