Monday, June 6, 2011

The Art of War for Writers




This tiny book offers a giant punch! The Art of War for Writers by James Scott Bell was fantastic. Please, please, please go buy this book. It is motivating, inspiring and oh so informative.

After devouring this book, I sat down with my current WIP and took a second (or more like a twenty-second) look at some issues I was having. The advice Bell offered in this book was so helpful to my novel as well as to me as a writer in general. Here were a few of my favorite topics he covered:

*Making yourself accountable for a word quota every week.
*Understanding whining isn't winning.
*Using a writer's notebook to keep track of progress.
*Not stressing about your competition.
*Write faster (on your rough draft) and think less.
*Determine the very worst that your characters could go through.
*SPEED is paramount in your opening. GRAB 'EM! (boy, do I need to re-hash this lesson over and over and over again).
*Resisting the urge to explain everything.
*Determine if each scene is weak or strong. Cut or improve the weak scenes and elevate the strong scenes to greatness.
*Be specific and deliberate in your goal making.
*Never let promotion interfere with your writing.

Have you read any fantastic writing advice lately? I'd love to hear it.

5 comments:

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

Thanks for the info. You made it short and sweet and now I don't have to read it! just kidding. I can't wait. thanks so much. I need all the help I can get

bon

Jolene Perry said...

All good stuff :D

my rough drafts FLY - and then the real work begins :D

Also, I've never struggled more with where to begin a story than I am with my current WIP - Chantele Sedgwick has it now, but I don't think I told her I was struggling - just wanted an honest opinion.

We'll see.

I love it when writing advice, or critique, or book helps me look at my writing in a whole new way. It's just awesome.

Have fun with your project! I can't wait to see it in print!

Richard said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Katie Dodge said...

Hey Maggie! I've tagged you! Go to my blog for details, :D

Maggie said...

If you read my above post and are curious about the comment I mention, don't worry it's none of these sweet girls! I deleted the one I was referring to.