Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Oh-Ver-Whelmed

Oh-Ver-Whelmed. Or, overwhelmed to those of you who are interested in spelling.

It happens to all of us, that feeling that we're sinking in a pile of to-do's and just can't seem to find our feet.

I know my husband is feeling overwhelmed right now. He's taking his first semester of school since high school (let's just say more than 10 years ago). He has a full course load on top of working 40 hours a week in his job. He usually only has spare moments to dash home for a to-go meal or quick change of clothes.

I am doing okay on the home front. The past several years have been about my "stuff." Me building my photography business; me writing and trying to get published; me and my ever changing list of obsessive hobbies (baking and running were two of them). Now it's time for my focus to be about supporting him in this endeavor. I'm so proud of him. I've scaled back on photography. I've kept my morning writing time the same, but am majorly scaling back a few other "time suckers" that revolve around the writing world.

But, although I'm doing okay right now, there have been many times I've been completely overwhelmed. As women, here are a few of the things we're supposed to be doing on a fairly regular basis: praying, reading scriptures, reading for enjoyment, exercising, flossing, making healthy meals, scrubbing, dishes, laundry, providing learning experiences for our children, keeping up on shots and dental appointments and vision screenings, magnifying our callings, being a good visiting teacher, preserving our memories, attending the temple, serving in PTA, voting, attending church meetings, doing family history, keeping a budget, learning frugality, doing family history work, and, of course, looking good while we do it all! This doesn't even take into consideration some of you amazing women who do all of this while maintaining work outside the home.

Now, if that list doesn't make you wince, I don't know what will. Let me be the first to say, I only accomplish about one percent of the items on that list.

Feeling overwhelmed?

Take a deep breath. Count to ten. Remember you are doing an amazing job.

Here is my question for today: What are the first things to go down the drain when you start to feel overwhelmed?


For me, it's healthy eating and a clean house. What do you let slip?

3 comments:

Tana Adams said...

FOr sure eating and cleaning. You would think I would remember to eat, but no.

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

Oh, Tana, I never forget to eat EVER.

I actually forget to do the basic stuff. like clean. dishes, etc. shove it to the back of my mind. ugh. hate it anyway so it's not hard : )

Jill Kemerer said...

I gladly let housecleaning slip--but then feel terrible when it's a dusty mess. I can't function around clutter!