Friday, April 22, 2011

10 Things That Would Make More Financial Sense Than Becoming A Writer

Just for a Friday laugh...

10. Selling Avon. Hey my grandma has done this for like 50 years! Do they still have "Avon ladies" or is it all online now?
9. Collecting Boxtops. Well, maybe not, but at least it would help my kids' school.
8. Selling things on Craigslist. Like my computer, printer, and all those books, books, books on my shelves.
7. Using my writing time to work at a minimum wage job. (Honestly, the hours would really add up.)
6. Writing anything but books: for newspapers, technical journals, company p.r. stuff.
5. Teaching people about writing. Even a teachers' salary would make most novelists drool.
4. Getting hired by my daughters' lemonade stand. They can earn some hefty cash on a hot day!
3. Returning to my previous hobby. Portrait Photography is much more lucrative.
2. Becoming a babysitter. Do you know what we pay for a night away from four kids?!!
1. Joining a multi-level marketing scheme. In the words of Michael Scott of The Office "It's not a pyramid scheme, it is a... it's not even a scheme per se, it's... [Jim draws a triangle around Michael's diagram] ... I have to go make a call."

Good thing I don't write for the money :)

4 comments:

LindsayWrites said...

Good thing my fiance makes the money. I plan on bringing 'nothing' in with this career lol.

Sari said...

...but the joy your written work brings your momma is priceless!

Melanie Jacobson said...

Painfully true.

Anna said...

I think of that everytime I think about someday being published. Then I think, maybe I should do something else or get a job if I want more money. But then I think "I don't want a job. I want to write."

I'm thankful for a husband that makes enough for our family to live comfortably so that I don't HAVE to get a job, but can do what I love.

I've heard that the best job is one that you would do even if you weren't being paid. Sounds like the life of many writers. :) But if I make even $1000 from my efforts, I'll have enjoyed the time and enjoy a nice Disneyland vacation from it.