Sunday, March 20, 2011

Making reading easier

Hi readers. I talk a lot on this blog about being a reader. I can't say enough about how much we NEED to read in order to be successful writers. But today, I'm going to talk about a different type of book we should all be reading.

The scriptures!

I found a fantastic website to help us with our scripture reading goals. Let me share: http://www.readthescriptures.com.

All you do is set up a super easy--AND FREE, OF COURSE--account and type in your scripture reading goals.

As most of you know, I am a member of the Church of Latter-Day Saints. Our scriptures are The Bible (Old and New Testaments) as well as The Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants, and the Pearl of Great Price. On this website, you can create custom reading plans for any of those scriptures (as well as Ensign articles or Sunday School lessons).

I know many of you are not Mormon, but ARE readers of The Bible, this site would work great for you too.

The best part about the site is they email you every day the verses you need to read to keep up with your goal. It keeps track of your progress and even sends you an audio version if you want to just listen to the scriptures. At their site you can highlight verses and keep a personal journal about your thoughts while you read.

Although we remember family scripture study every day in my home, I often forget my personal study. However, I NEVER forget to check my email, so I think this will be a great tool to keep me on my toes.

Good luck and check it out!

2 comments:

Deborah A. said...

That is really neat! Thank you so much for sharing that. My husband and I set a goal to read the Book of Mormon again this year...I won't tell you we're still in 1 Nephi. :(

We'll have to check this out.

Sari said...

Better scripture study was also one of my goals and it is going well. Thanks for the tip--I'm going there now.