Monday, January 17, 2011

Interview with a princess...AND a chance to win

This is the first day of my New Cedar Fort Author Blog Hop. Read my review here and read below for a chance to win a $15 Amazon Gift Card!

"The Peasant Queen" by Cheri Chesley could have been a big disappointment in my list of current reads. Fantasy is not my favorite genre, and I approached this novel with a good deal of hesitation.
But Chesley's quick pace and great development of characters pulled me in from the get-go. This fun novel has a "Graceling" feel, but requires less time commitment from start to finish. It is a clean read and one I recommend to young adult and adult readers--whether you love fantasy or not.
The novel is the story of Krystal a farm girl who is kidnapped by the wicked King Gregory. Her loyal dog Damen follows her and is a life-saver in many instances. Krystal is ordinary in most ways, but her courage and commitment to help others when even she is in danger are often extraordinary. There is, of course, a nice love story mingled in with the action. And although set up for a sequel, this book definitely leaves the reader satisfied.
My only critique of the book is its cover. Chesley is a new Cedar Fort author. The company is known for its fantastic covers, but I feel this one was way too boring for the exciting pace of the story.

"The Peasant Queen's" courageous heroine Krystal, stopped by for an interview, and here is what she had to say:

Maggie: Krystal, would you say back on the farm Damen was your closest friend or did you have other friends as well?

Krystal: Damen was my only friend. As a little girl, I'd befriended a girl on a neighboring farm, but they moved away some years ago.

Maggie: You seem to catch the eye of every eligible bachelor. As a regular farm girl, what's your secret?

Krystal: Truly, I didn't catch Curtis' eye. His father and my brother, Andrew, arranged that match. I think Douglas exaggerated the rest. Or they like the smell of sweat and hard work on a woman, I really don't know. As far as Gregory and Jareth, well, I can't really fathom what they find so appealing. I'm just a regular girl. I think I appealed most to Gregory because Jareth loved me. Loves me. Still getting used to that. :)

Maggie: Which would be worse: marrying a wicked king or the village idiot?

Krystal: Marrying the king, definitely. That's not to say marriage to Curtis would have been easy, but I'd have had my family close by and Curtis is not exactly difficult to fool. Gregory wouldn't have let me out of his sight, and would have demanded so much more than I could give.

Maggie: Krystal, what do you imagine for your future in Fayterra?

Krystal: Children. I know it's the queen's duty to provide heirs and ensure the family line. But I think I will enjoy motherhood. I'm kind of dreading learning all the royal duties and etiquette, though.

Maggie: Do you ever see yourself going back to the simple life?

Krystal: I strive to make whatever my life is as simple as possible, but it doesn't always work out that way. I prefer close friends, family and clothes that don't require two people to get me out of.

Maggie: If you were born in the 1980s or 1990s, what would be your current favorite song?

Krystal: Bon Jovi's "It's my Life." I find a great deal of truth in those lyrics. But don't ask me to sing. Please.

Thanks Krystal for stopping by, and thanks Cheri for a great fantasy read! It is available on Amazon.

TO WIN: Only three steps lie between you and the $15 Amazon gift card.
1. Become a "follower" on my blog
2. Hop over to Cheri Chesley's blog and become a "follower" on her blog
3. Answer this question in the comment section of my post: Cheri Chesley is a mom of how many? (the answer is easily found on her blog)
*If you do these things your name will be put in the pot for the prize which will be drawn at the end of the next two New Author Blog Hop Mondays.
*Hint for more chances at winning: Cheri, Dan Harrington, and Michael Knudsen are all doing their own drawings for Amazon gift cards too. Check out their posts today to get more chances!

3 comments:

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

Very original to interview the character! Well done!

This was fun, love the other blogs as well. Good luck!

brendajean said...

Cheri has 5 kids. Loved the interview- how clever:) I would love to wear a dress that required a maid to help me in and out of it! How fun!

bchild5 at aol dot com

Ben and Ana! said...

You are amazing! Loved the interview!