Thursday, January 20, 2011

From My Mommy Being With Me

Last night I was in a rush to get the obligatory book read to the children so that the bedtime routine could be completed. It had been a long day (isn't every day?) and I was ready for them to go to sleep.

Their choice was a book my mother-in-law gave me when I first became a mother called "From My Mommy Being With Me." It's a small paperback that I just noticed for the first time, was published by the same publisher as "Growing Up Gracie."

I dove into the book that I have read many, many times and felt a whole new response to its sweet words. The book talks about the lessons a little girls learns as she grows up simply by her mother "being with her." I was fighting the tears--and I'm not really a crier!

It made me re-evaluate what my children have learned and are learning from my "being with them." Sometimes I'm sure they've learned to be stressed out. Or maybe to yell. Or to have a great plan in the morning and have it all go down the toilet before breakfast is on the table.

But, I hope they've also learned that I love them. And I want them to be happy. And that I know they are children of God and that I am so very blessed to have the opportunity to be their mother.

It also made me think about what I learned from my own mother. In one word: selflessness. She embodies that word perfectly and always has. I know I am far from mastering that one, but I hope to improve each day.

What did you learn from your mommy being with you?

3 comments:

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

Great post, Maggie.

Actually what I learned was because my mom was NOT with me. I promised I'd be there for my kids, or their dad would be.

But then on the flip side of that, she was someone I could tell anything to, without being judged. And that was awesome! I love my mom!

We Are A Happy Family said...

Service and Visiting Teaching came hand in hand with my mother. She would make a weekly meal for one family who had multiple health challenges. One sister received 3 visits a day for at least a year from mom. Mom would always bring one of her 4 children along with her as she ensured that this ailing sister received healthy meals, the correct dosage of medicine, dressings for her feet ,and a healthy dose of love. I am thankful for all the times I got to accompany her.

Sari said...

I learned to laugh and roll with life's punches from my mom. I learned to cook a well balanced meal, how to make a bed properly (something I didn't pass on) and ways to live frugally. My mom was a great teacher and I sure love her!