Thursday, January 13, 2011

The Family Saga defined

I am struggling through my revision process, and I was so happy when I read this definition of family saga:
The family saga as its name implies is a literature genre that chronicles the lives and occurrences of a family and may cover several generations. The family saga can also deal with several related or interconnected families such as neighbors,
and friends. Through the novel, you read about the tragedies, betrayals, triumphs, and reconciliations that the family faces. The setting can span several continents or remain in the same city or town throughout the entire novel, usually in the sagas
events set in motion by the grandparents have drastic effects on the lives of their grand or even great-grandchildren.


I was beginning to wonder if my current novel was just a huge mish-mash. And it is--family saga style! It fits the family saga definition to a tee. Although it needs some serious work, I think the potential is there for it to be great. I hope I can get it to exactly what I want it to be.

2 comments:

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

DUDE! I told you. Never doubt the crit partner. lol

good research!

Cynthia Sims said...

I am learning that my novel is also a family saga. I didn't know there was a specific genre with this title. Your definition above solidifies this for me. I will continue researching.