Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Oh the joy of Genres

Who knew there were so many genres in writing? I sure didn't.

I mean you've got fiction and non-fiction. Right? That's what the school librarian taught us when she showed us the good ol' Dewey Decimal System.

But whoa. Now days there are many, many, genres in fiction. In fact, my editor at Cedar Fort recently wrote on Facebook that she was writing a (drum roll please) Upper-Middle-Grade Low Fantasy. I'm not going to lie. I had zero clue what the heck she was talking about. But, she filled me in. Upper-middle-grade is the higher end of the 8-12 year old range. And low fantasy is "when you have fantastical things happening in a relatively normal world as opposed to an entirely fantastical realm."

Good to know!

Of course there is romance, western and mystery. But did you know within each category there are numerous "sub" genres? For instance, there is contemporary romance, historical romance, paranormal romance, romantic suspense, and inspirational romance.

In my writing world, there is also an LDS version to each of these genres.

So, what's the point of all this rambling? None. Goodbye.


Just teasing. The point is, my writing partner recently pointed out to me that I have mis-categorized my next novel. Rookie mistake. I know. Hey, give me a journalistic lead and I will tighten it to as few words as possible, but this fiction world is a little different and new to me.
So, the appropriate GENRE for The Letters Never Sent is Family Saga.

Doesn't that sound nice? Family Saga.

Parts of it are in the present day while the oldest sections are in the early 1900s. But ALL of it revolves around the Cameron family. So, that's that! I'm getting excited about revisions on it and then passing it on to my awesome first readers.


1 comment:

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

And I'm so lucky to be the first one to read it! It's great!