Monday, November 22, 2010

"The Letters Never Sent" Rough Draft Is Done!

My second novel, The Letters Never Sent, has a finished rough draft! Hallelujah! Hallelujah!

I LOVE the feeling of something accomplished! My critique partner BR Paulson and I have been really pushing each other to finish our current novels and I am so happy to say our persistence has paid off. She is nearly finished with hers too.

Now, for me, the process from first draft to actual book is a long one. Here is what's next:
*About a month of germination... I don't even look at the thing for awhile. I need to distance myself and then read it with fresh eyes.
*Read over my book and begin the process of rewriting.
*Rewrite some more and more and more and more
*Let my first readers take a peek
*Rewrite again with any feed back I've received
*Craft a query letter
*Submit to publisher
*Hold my breath and hope for acceptance

Here is a brief description of the book:

When Lily Foster makes a major life change and discovers secrets about her ancestors she never bargained for, the first step of an exhilarating journey is taken. As she struggles with her own trials Lily finds a link that will take her from present day to that of her great-great grandmother Annie Cameron, making her own way from Scotland to Wyoming. This book is about a journey of redemption and a search for sense of self. And the realization that sometimes what we long for the most is the one thing that was right in front of us all along.
The Letters Never Sent is a mainstream historical fiction novel about the women of the Cameron family.

(And I know, I know. I just can't get away from Wyoming). Maybe next time.

4 comments:

Proctor Funk said...

Sounds intriguing!!! I love historical fiction! Way to go Maggie!!

Sari said...

Historical Fiction is my favorite genre also. And don't worry about the Wyoming thing--it is a huge part of your life experience and who knows maybe you'll put them on the map!

Christi said...

I don't read a lot of historical fiction but this one sounds great, can't wait to read it!

Bonnie R. Paulson said...

Hmmm. I love that I'm the very first to read it. Can I just say It's phenomenal? Yay. Maggie! And I am having such a terrific time working with you. You are motivating and encouraging and turning out to be a FANTASTIC partner! PS. Do you think I could use more superlatives? Lol